Choosing the right necklace length is crucial when it comes to enhancing your overall look. The length of the necklace can accentuate your features, complement your outfit, and express your personal style. However, buying necklaces online can pose certain challenges, especially when you can’t physically try them on to see how they fit. This guide aims to help you navigate these challenges and choose the right necklace length for your needs.
Standard Necklace Lengths
Even Inch Sizes: 16”, 18”, 20”, 22”, 24”, and 30”
Standard necklace lengths are typically even inch sizes, ranging from 16” to 30”. These lengths are designed to cater to different body types, necklines, and style preferences.
- The 16” necklace, also known as a choker, sits tightly around the neck. This length is perfect for highlighting the neck and works well with off-shoulder or boat neck tops.
- The 18” necklace, often referred to as a princess length, falls just below the throat at the collarbone. This versatile length is ideal for both casual and formal wear.
- The 20” necklace, or matinee length, falls a few inches below the collarbone. It’s a great choice for business attire or high necklines.
- The 22” necklace falls at or above the top of the bust. It’s a good choice for casual wear and pairs well with v-neck tops.
- The 24” necklace, also known as the opera length, falls below the bust. This length can be worn with high necklines and even over turtleneck sweaters.
- The 30” necklace, or rope length, falls below the navel. It’s a statement piece that works well with high necklines and can be doubled for a layered look.
How To Choose The Right Necklace Size for the Female Body
Considering Neck Size
When choosing a necklace, the size of your neck is an important factor.
To measure your neck, use a soft measuring tape and wrap it snugly around your neck. Add two inches to this measurement for a comfortable choker size. For pendant necklaces, add four inches to your neck measurement to ensure the pendant hangs correctly.
If your neck measures less than 13 inches, a 16-inch necklace will fit like a choker, while an 18-inch necklace will hang at the collarbone. For neck sizes 13 inches or larger, a 16-inch necklace may be too tight, and an 18-inch necklace may sit at the base of the neck.
Your height can also influence the necklace length that suits you best.
For women under 5’4″, shorter necklaces (16 to 20 inches) help elongate the torso. Women between 5’4″ and 5’7″ can wear almost any length necklace, but 20 to 24 inches are often most flattering. Women over 5’7″ can wear longer necklaces (24 to 30 inches) which complement their height.
Longer necklaces can elongate a petite frame, while shorter necklaces can help balance a taller frame.
Considering Body Type
Your body type can also dictate the most flattering necklace length.
For smaller bust sizes, any necklace length works, but a pendant can add some dimension. For larger bust sizes, longer necklaces that hang over the bust or shorter necklaces that sit above the bust are most flattering.
Avoid necklaces that end at your bust line or waistline if these are areas you’d prefer not to highlight.
Considering Face Shape
Your face shape can also guide your choice of necklace length.
- For round faces, longer necklaces (over 20 inches) can help elongate the face.
- Oval faces are versatile and can wear any necklace length, but chokers can highlight the face’s balanced proportions.
- For long-shaped faces, shorter necklaces (16 to 18 inches) can help to visually shorten the face.
- For heart-shaped faces, chokers or short necklaces can help balance the narrower chin with the wider forehead.
Choosing the right necklace length is crucial. It can enhance your outfit, frame your face, and express your personal style. By considering factors like neck size, height, body type, and face shape, you can find the necklace length that best complements your features and makes you feel confident and beautiful.