Orange dresses are having a major moment right now. Their vibrant hue instantly brightens up any outfit. As fun and playful as orange dresses can be, figuring out makeup looks to complement them can be tricky. The good news is there are plenty of makeup options that will make your orange dress pop.
In this article, we’ll go over some key makeup tips and ideas for rocking orange dresses. From warm earth tones to neon brights, I’ll share the best eyeshadows, lipsticks, and more to try with your orange dress.
Choosing Makeup Colors for Orange Dresses
When working with a bold orange dress, you’ll want to stick with makeup in similarly warm, sunny tones. Cool-toned makeup will clash. The shades you choose don’t need to match exactly, but they should be in the same color family.
Here are some makeup colors that pair beautifully with orange dresses:
- Peaches and corals: Blush, lipstick, and eyeshadow in soft peachy-pinks and bright corals will bring out orange undertones. They make for super flattering makeup with orange dresses.
- Golds and bronzes: Metallic makeup is perfect for making an orange dress shine. Gold, bronze, and copper eyeshadows and highlighters warm up the complexion.
- Reds and berries: Orange is located right next to red on the color wheel, so these bold hues complement each other nicely. Try a red lip or berry-toned smoky eye.
- Warm browns: Matte brown eyeshadow blends easily for a soft, natural eye look with orange dresses. Focus the shadow near the lash line and blend up.
- Champagnes: Shimmery champagne shadow and highlighter add subtle sparkle. Use lightly for daytime or build up for night.
Eyeshadow Looks for Orange Dresses
Eyeshadow can make a big impact with orange dress makeup. Let’s look at some stunning eyeshadow options to try:
Neutral Smokey Eye
For an easy go-to look, create a soft smokey eye using neutral browns and bronzes. Sweep a light bronze shade all over the lid up to the crease. Run a darker brown shadow along the lash line and outer corners. Blend well so there are no harsh lines. Finish by highlighting the inner corners with a shimmery champagne eyeshadow. This gives a subtle contours while still looking natural.
Peach Eye Look
Peach shadow is so pretty and feminine with orange dresses. Apply a shimmery peach shade across the lid and in the inner corners. Use a matte peach or soft brown in the crease for definition. You can also try lower lashline eyeliner in peach for an extra pop of color. Keep the rest of your makeup soft and dewy.
Gold Smokey Eye
Make your orange dress the center of attention with a bold gold smokey eye. Press a metallic gold shadow across the entire lid. Layer a bronze shade into the crease and outer corners to add drama. Run black liner along the upper and lower lashline for definition. Finish with volumizing black mascara. Keep lips neutral or sheer.
Tip: Use your finger to apply shimmery shadows like golds—the warmth of your finger helps the shadow glide on more vibrantly.
Don’t be afraid to get creative and use different color combos! Pair your orange dress with blue shadow for a fun pop. Try a bold matte royal blue smoky eye with thick winged liner. Or, sweep shimmery turquoise across the lids for a mermaid vibe. Finish with coral cheeks and lips to tie everything together.
Liner Looks for Orange Dresses
Liner is another great way to make eyes stand out with an orange dress. Here are some liner ideas:
A classic winged black liner complements any eye look. Keep it sleek and precise. Extend the wing slightly to help lift the eyes. Pair with earth tone shadow blended into the crease or a warm metallic lid.
Swap black for an unexpected pop of color! Try bright azure or forest green liner along the upper lashline. Keep the line thinner than a regular winged look. Pair with matching shadow blended into the crease. Or, try lower lashline liner in orange or pink.
Smudgy Kohl Liner
For a sultry eye, line the upper and lower waterlines with dark brown or black kohl liner. Smudge lightly with a brush or your finger to soften any harsh edges. Pair with neutral matte shadow and mascara.
Lips for Orange Dresses
Lip color can make or break your orange dress look. Stay away from cool-toned pinks and purples, which may look garish. Here are some flattering lip ideas:
A peachy-beige lipstick is perfect for daytime. Look for a satin finish with warm undertones. Blot and apply a second layer for longer wear. Finish with nude lip gloss in the center of lips.
Amp up a neutral lip with a hint of brightness! A pinky coral lipstick complements the orange dress without being too matchy-matchy. Matte and cream finishes both work. Pop some shimmery peach gloss on top.
Make a bold statement with a classic red lip and orange dress. Choose a warm red with orange undertones. Matte liquid lipsticks have great staying power. Add lip liner to prevent feathering. Finish with red-toned lip gloss on the center of lips.
Tip: Use a lip scrub before applying lipstick for a smoother application.
For an alternative to red, try a berry lip stain. These provide a soft wash of color. Build up the intensity by applying multiple layers. Finish with clear gloss for shine.
Cheeks for Orange Dresses
Warm, sun-kissed cheeks complete any orange dress makeup look. Here are some cheek options:
Sweep peachy-pink blush onto the apples of your cheeks and blend back. Focus the color higher on your cheekbones. Choose a matte or subtle shimmery formula. Peach instantly brightens the complexion.
Look like you just got back from the beach with pretty coral blush. Stick to creams or liquids for a dewy, natural flush. Sheer it out with makeup sponge for a soft daytime look. Intensify with extra layers at night.
Warm up and define your complexion with bronzer. Apply it lightly under your cheekbones and along the hairline for subtle contouring. Opt for a matte bronzer close to your skin tone. Shimmery bronzer can look overdone.
Add glow with champagne or gold highlighter! Apply highlighter powder or liquid along cheekbones, on top of brows, and on the tip of the nose.
Makeup Tips for Orange Maxi Dresses
Floor-length maxi dresses make a glamorous statement. Here are some makeup tips to get that effortless elegance:
- Focus on either eyes or lips, not both. A bold lip with clean eyes or a dramatic smoky eye with a nude lip.
- Skip anything too shimmery. Matte skin (with the exception of subtle highlighter) prevents over-the-top disco ball vibes.
- Soften eye and lip liner. Go for blended, smudged out liner instead of harsh edges.
- Style hair in loose, natural waves or an updo to show off the dress silhouette and accessorize simply with delicate jewelry.
Makeup for Orange Cocktail Dresses
Makeup for shorter cocktail-length orange dresses can be amped up for maximum nighttime drama:
- Create a bold smoky eye with black and bronze shadows and wings sharp enough to kill! Finish with dramatic false lashes.
- Try a stand-out red lip – classic blue-based reds have an Old Hollywood vibe.
- Contour cheekbones sharply for extra definition.
- Style hair in soft curls or a sleek high ponytail. Accessorize with statement earrings.
Daytime Event Makeup with Orange Dresses
Dress up your orange dress for a daytime wedding, shower or graduation with these tips:
- Sheer out lipstick by blotting and apply lip gloss on top for a soft daytime lip.
- Use champagne and gold shimmers sparingly on the eyes and cheekbones.
- Apply neutral eyeshadow using soft, fluffy brushes to prevent harsh pigment deposit.
- Style your hair down in a sleek blowout or simple chignon if wearing an orange gown.
- Accessorize with hats, flowers or other organic elements for an earthy daytime vibe.
Orange dresses make a fun, eye-catching statement. Choose your makeup shades and textures wisely to complement the vibrant hue. Stick with warm earth tones, metallic shimmers, and sunny shades of peach, coral and red. Matte skin and blended liner create soft elegance while bold lips and dramatic eyes are perfect for cocktail dresses. Focus on eyes or lips, not both. Finally, adapt your makeup, hair and accessories to suit the formality of the occasion. With these tips, your makeup will beautifully enhance your fabulous orange dress!