Thick, dark, voluminous eyelashes are the epitome of beauty. As trends in cosmetics evolve, more and more of us are looking for convenient ways to achieve our desired eye look. Mascara and eyelash extensions used to be the only options. But now, lash tinting has emerged as a popular alternative promising beautiful lashes that last.
So how long does lash tint actually last? In this article, I’ll walk through everything you need to know about lash tints – from how long they last to how to care for tinted lashes. Read on for tips on making your lash tint last as long as possible.
An Overview of Lash Tints
First things first – what exactly is eyelash tinting? Lash tinting involves dyeing your natural eyelashes to darken them. The tint adds color and depth to make lashes appear thicker and more defined. It’s like a semi-permanent mascara that lasts for weeks.
Lash tinting has become hugely popular thanks to social media. As we scroll through images of influencers with perfect eyelashes, many of us want to recreate the look.
The great thing about lash tints is that they last much longer than regular mascara. While mascara needs to be applied every day, lash tint can give you lush lashes for a month or so. For those wanting to cut down on daily makeup application, lash tints are super convenient.
Now that we know what lash tinting is, let’s look at that all-important question: how long does lash tint last?
How Long Does Lash Tint Last?
So how long do the results of eyelash tinting last?
- On average, lash tinting lasts about 4-6 weeks.
- Most people can expect their tinted lashes to look great for around a month, give or take several days.
- Of course, some factors like your natural lash health can affect the longevity.
Still, lash tinting lasts noticeably longer than daily mascara which only holds for a day. With proper aftercare, your lush, tinted lashes can last for a full month.
For many, a month-long boost is perfect. Reapplying lash tint every 4-6 weeks lets you maintain the desired eyelash look with little effort. If you want to “set it and forget it”, lash tints are far more convenient than painting on mascara daily!
Aftercare Tips for Long-Lasting Lash Tints
To get the most out of your tinting session, proper aftercare is essential. With some simple steps, you can help your lush tinted lashes last over a month. Here are crucial tips on caring for your eyelashes post-tinting:
- Avoid getting your lashes wet for 24-48 hours after the treatment. Water can cause the tint to fade more quickly.
- Don’t apply eye makeup like mascara or eyeliner for at least 24 hours. Let the tint fully set before adding anything.
- Steer clear of facials, saunas and steam rooms for 2-3 days. The heat can loosen the tint, causing it to fade or run.
- Avoid oil-based products around the eyes for a few days post-tinting. Oil may break down the tint.
- Take out contact lenses to avoid any irritation during the tinting process.
- Try not to rub your eyes or touch the lashes while the tint develops. This can cause smudging.
- Stay out of chlorinated pools or saltwater for 48 hours. The chemicals can affect tint fastness.
- Limit sun exposure and wear sunglasses outside. UV rays can cause the tint to fade or change color.
Following these tips diligently in the days after your lash tint can really help the results last 4-6 weeks. Be extra gentle as the tint develops, and avoid anything that could cause it to run or diminish prematurely.
With proper aftercare to lock in the tint, you can enjoy lush, darker lashes for a full month!
The Cost of Professional Lash Tinting
Now for the burning question – how much does it cost to get your eyelashes professionally tinted?
- Prices range widely, but the average cost is $50-$80 per session.
- At high-end salons in major cities, lash tints can cost over $100.
- Some suburban or rural salons charge as low as $40 per tinting.
- The price typically depends on the location and exclusivity of the salon.
Lash tinting costs more than an at-home box dye kit from the drugstore. But keep in mind – professional application is crucial for safety and proper results.
For long-lasting, lush lashes, the investment is well worth it. Considering most users only need touch-ups every 4-6 weeks, the cost is reasonable for the time saved on daily makeup.
Getting Your Lash Tint from a Pro
Speaking of professional tinting, it’s extremely important to have the treatment done by a licensed esthetician or lash technician. Here’s why:
- Lash tinting requires skill. The area around the eyes is highly sensitive. Only a trained pro should handle the tinting chemicals near your eyes.
- DIY lash tinting is risky. Trying to tint lashes at home leaves you prone to injuries like blindness or chemical burns. Avoid DIY kits at all costs!
- An expert can minimize risks. A technician who is experienced with lash tints can take precautions to prevent adverse reactions.
- It ensures proper application. A professional will coat lashes fully and evenly for optimal results.
Visit a reputable salon and do a consultation before booking your lash tint. Check reviews and the technician’s credentials. A licenced pro can deliver the long-lasting, lush lashes you want – safely and stunningly.
The Process of Getting Your Lashes Tinted
Wondering what happens during a professional lash tinting session? Here’s a quick rundown:
- First, your eyes will be cleaned and protected from the dye.
- A tinting solution is applied to coat your eyelashes.
- The solution sits for 5-10 minutes to allow the dye to take.
- Your technician will remove any excess dye and neutralize the tint.
- The process is repeated to reinforce and darken the color.
- Your lashes are then cleaned, conditioned, and styled as desired.
The entire process only takes about 10-15 minutes! Since eyelashes are so small compared to head hair, the dye acts quickly. The results are instant, with your natural lashes emerging darker and more eye-catching.
Some salons also offer lash lifts in addition to tinting. Lash lifts use perm rods to add curl to straight lashes for an opening effect. Combining lifting with tinting can really maximize your eyelashes’ impact! Discuss options with your technician.
The Safety of Lash Tinting
Lash tinting is generally very safe, but some precautions are needed. Let’s look at how your technician will ensure safety:
- Patch testing – Reputable salons will patch test the tint 1-2 days before to check for allergies.
- Protective eyewear – Your eyes will be covered to shield them from the chemicals.
- pH balancing – The tint will be pH adjusted to match your eye area.
- Careful application – Your technician will use precision tools and methods.
- Dye selection – Professional dyes are formulated to be lower-risk.
You may experience some mild stinging or redness. But a trained technician will take steps to minimize irritation. Serious injuries like chemical burns are extremely rare from professional tints.
The biggest risks come from DIY kits with harsh dyes. Always opt for an expert over trying to tint lashes yourself. The results will be better and safer.
Can You Wear Mascara With Lash Tint?
A common question is whether mascara can be worn once lashes are tinted. The answer is: you can add mascara, but it’s optional.
Since the tint darkens them already, mascara isn’t needed. But if you want an extra boost, apply mascara sparingly after the first 24 hours.
Use gentle, oil-free formulas to avoid breaking down the tint prematurely. Go easy on the mascara initially as your lashes will be more vulnerable while the tint sets. After a few days you can resume your usual mascara routine.
The tint will act as a base, allowing you to use less mascara for fuller lashes. Many users ditch mascara entirely thanks to the tint’s enhancing effects. But you can supplement the tint with mascara for added drama if desired!
The Pros and Cons of Lash Tinting
What are the biggest advantages and disadvantages of getting your lashes tinted? Let’s do a quick pros and cons breakdown:
- Long-lasting – No daily mascara needed for 4-6 weeks
- Time-saving – 10 minutes for a month of lush lashes
- Low-maintenance – Just an occasional touch-up
- Customizable – Can be combined with other lash services
- Safe when done properly – Avoids risks of DIY dyeing
- Potential allergic reaction – Patch test required
- Fades over time – Not as permanent as lash extensions
- Color limitations – Works best on lighter lashes
- No dramatic length – Lengthening serums still needed
- DIY is dangerous – Must be done by a licensed pro
Overall, the pros seem to outweigh the cons for most lash tint users. At least 90 days of boosted lashes for a 10 minute appointment is an unbeatable value.
Just be sure to take precautions against allergic reactions. And only visit reputable professionals to avoid risks from poor application. Done correctly, lash tinting is a safe, convenient way to open up your eyes.
Is Lash Tinting Worth It?
Lash tinting is growing exponentially in popularity for good reason. The treatment can instantly enhance lashes to frame your eyes beautifully.
For those with naturally light or thin lashes, the effects of tinting are extremely worthwhile. Even just slightly darkening your lashes can make them stand out more.
People with dark lashes may see less dramatic results. Tinting works best on light hair. Manage expectations if you already have an abundant lash line.
But consider trying lash tints if you:
- Dislike wearing mascara daily
- Want to cut down on eye makeup time
- Have blond, red, or light brown lashes
- Prefer low-maintenance beauty routines
The convenience and longevity of lash tints makes them more than worth it for many. The treatment essentially replaces 4-8 weeks of mascara application in just 10 minutes!
Hopefully this article clearly answers the question: how long does lash tint last? The effects can endure for a full month or more with proper aftercare. For time-strapped beauty lovers, lash tinting is often an alluring option.
While not necessarily cheaper than daily mascara or extensions, lash tints offer more convenience. If you’re seeking fuss-free yet eye-enhancing results, consider booking a tinting session with a licensed technician.
Done safely by a professional, lash tinting can beautifully boost your eyes for weeks at a time. For my next article, I’ll cover other popular lash services like perming and extensions. Stay tuned for more tips on achieving your dream eye look conveniently!